VNCtalk Desktop Client User Manual¶
VNCtalk is a specialized application for real-time communication.
It provides the services for text chat, video chat, screen sharing, file transfer and many more.
VNCtalk helps your business and your employees to communicate, collaborate and interact more effectively.
VNCtalk provides the following services to the user
- Chat: in 1:1 dialogue or as group chat with multiple participants
- Broadcasts for informing a selected group of people without a group chat option
- Video calls: in 1:1 dialogue or as group chat with several participants
- Audio calls: in 1:1 dialogue or as group chat with several participants
- File transfer: Exchange files with other users
- Conversation history: Recent chats are automatically archived in a chat history, sorted by last activity fist.
- Screen sharing: Shows the participants of a video call the whole or a part of the screen
- VNCpad: for persitent collaborative notes and documentation as extension available to every 1on1 and group chat.
The only requirement, for using the application, is a modern Web-Browser. This means usually the latest version of the Google Chrome/ Chromium or the Mozilla Firefox browser, available for your operating system.
However, in some cases, fullfilling this requirement, may not be possible. That is why we also provide an all-in-one client, where not even a web-browser is required on the hosting client system, to use VNCtalk: the VNC Desktop Client.
Download the VNCtalk Desktop Client¶
The VNCtalk Desktop Client is availabe for various operating systems. To download the current VNCtalk Desktop Client, click the respective download link for your operating system in the table below:
|Operating System||VNCtalk Desktop Client|
|Microsoft Windows 10 (64bit)||Download|
|GNU/Linux (64 bit)||Download|
Install the VNCtalk Desktop Client¶
After the download of the VNCtalk Desktop Client file has been completed, open it from your download folder, by doubleclicking on the executable file, which may open a warning popup from Windows Defender. In that case, click on More info ...
... to reveal the Run anyway button and click on it ...
... to continue the installation:
Once finished, the application starts automatically and will show you the VNCtalk login screen. Now please continue here.
Once the download of the dmg-file has been completed, open it from your download location, which will popup this installallation dialogue:
Now drag the VNCtalk icon onto the Applications folder icon and release it, to start the installation ...
... which changes to a progress bar, once started:
When finished, the VNCtalk icon appears in your Applications folder.
Now open the application, by selecting Open from the context menu(right click to open it) and click the Open button in the following popup information dialogue:
This will show provide you the VNCtalk login screen. Now please continue here.
If you are using macOS Catalina (10.15) - you have to enable Screen Recording Permission.
- Set up Dropshare to use it for capturing screen shorts and screen recordings. Use "How to install the Dropshare for Mac CLI" instruction for it.
- Enable Screen Recording Permission, using "Enabling Screen Recording Permission on macOS Catalina (10.15)" instruction.
After the AppImage file has been downloaded, you need to make it executable first. THis can be done via the context menu of your file manager or the CLI by executing:
cd <path to the downloaded file> chmod +x VNCtalk-<version>.linux.AppImage
Now start the VNCtalk Desktop Client from your file manager or the CLI by executing:
This opens the VNCtalk login screen, please continue here.
First start of the VNCtalk Desktop Client¶
- In case you want to apply for a testaccount on our demo platform https://talk.vnc.de, click
- CREATE NEW ACCOUNT and follow the instructions in the VNCtalk Web Client User Manual from here on.
- In case you already have an account on our demo platform https://talk.vnc.de and want to use it, just enter username and password, then click on LOGIN and follow the VNCtalk Web Client User Manual from here on.
- If you want to login to an existing account on a different server, click on
- Change server URL
In the next screen, replace the prefilled URL: https://talk.vnc.de by your server-URL and click LOGIN afterwards ...
... to return to the login screen.
- Enter your credentials into the username and password input fields and click on LOGIN:
This opens the VNCtalk Web Client interface embedded in a dedicated application window on your Desktop.
The functionality of the UI inside the application window is identical to the VNCtalk Web Client.
In regards to ending your session in the VNCtalk Desktop Application, you have two options:
- Just close the application window. This causes the VNCtalk Desktop Client to remember your login and next time you open the application, you will be automatically logged into your account.
- Click on the avatar icon to open a dropdown menu and select Logout, which will log you out of the application ...
... and load the login-screen, but remembers your username. So next time you open the application, you only need to enter your password and click LOGIN.
Note: In order to be able to enter a different username after the logout, you need to click on Change server URL first and re-save the current URL or enter a different one. Afterwards the username field is accessible again.
After the installation and configuring your VNCtalk Desktop Client to access your VNCtalk server, the funtionality is the same as the VNCtalk Webclient, therefore once that has been completed, you can follow the VNCtalk Web Client User Manual from here on.