ITIL Incident Management Roles and Responsibilities¶
Incident Management roles are divided into 3 categories:
- IT Support Staff. There are 2 support staff roles defined for the Incident Management process: Service Desk Analyst and Service Desk Specialist - Subject Matter Expert (SME).
- Managers (Incident Owner and Incident Assignee)
|User||The user role refers to the customers of IT services who request assistance for an affected service. The user role applies to customers of the Requester Console or who contact the IT Service Desk to get assistance from IT support staff to resolve incidents.||- Requesting support when necessary and providing the required information to help resolve the requests;
- Checking the solutions that IT service provider has implemented for his/her Incidents and re-opening them if solutions are not acceptable.
|Service Desk Analyst||Service desk analysts are usually first-line support staff (the initial point of contact for users)||- Providing the interface for interaction between the service owner organization and its customers;
- Creating, classifying and updating Incident records, while obtaining accurate and complete information from the user;
- Ensuring that Incidents are assigned to the most appropriate group for resolution;
- Resolving incidents when possible;
- coordinating and validating resolution with customers;
- Closing Incidents and determining customer satisfaction.
|Service Desk Specialist - Subject Matter Expert (SME)||Service Desk Specialists – Subject Matter Experts (SME) are second-line support staff. They are considered subject matter experts.||- Updating the incident records with true and relevant information, that reflects investigation and resolution steps taken and status changes;
- Resolving incidents;
- Contributing resolution information to Knowledge repository;
- Maintaining incident data quality;
- Participating in the Incident escalation handling as subject matter expert when necessary;
- Elevating Incident to subsequent levels of support (Support Specialist), within applicable time-constraint, or expertise level.
|Incident Owner||Incident Owner is responsible for the quality and integrity of Incident Management processes and for the work of their support group members.||- Controlling all activities related to the assigned incident;
- The overall handling a specific incident;
- Defining which CIs are involved in the incident;
- Bringing in appropriatespecialists as needed;
- Ensuring that the incident is resolved and closed.
|Incident Assignee||The Incident Assignee is responsible for responding to assigned incidents by accepting an assignment and moving incident status to “In Progress” or immediately re-assigning the incident back to Service Desk||- Resolving incidents within the assigned Service Level Target;
- Providing Timely Updates to the incident in the Work Detail Log.